Top 5 Most Romantic Towns in South Africa for me are all unsurprisingly located in the gorgeous Western Cape, South Africa.
Top 5 Most Romantic Towns in South Africa
South Africa’s most romantic towns are not always the huge glitzy, glam capitals. For me the small, remote, hidden towns, preferably with no wifi, are most appealing.
Being the month of love, I’d thought I’d share my Top 5 Most Romantic Towns in South Africa.
“The small village with a BIG heart”, as described by eatout.co.za
Situated in the heart of the Overberg region, about 90 minutes from Cape Town, this sleepy little town appeals to the creative country bumpkin in me. With hardly any cell phone reception this is the ideal getaway for you and your loved one.
According to Greyton Tourism Board; “Greyton is South Africa’s first Transition Town. This close-knit community came together to build a sustainable village in which everybody enjoys security from rising costs in fuel, food and other essentials.”
Where to Stay
I’d highly recommend the historically charming Post House Hotel. It is the oldest building in Greyton, built in 1860 and originally used as a trading post. This was also Greyton’s post office, local pub and restaurant. More recently in 1993 it was proclaimed a National Monument.
What to do:
1.Savour the flavour of these rich bespoke handmade Belgian chocolates created by master chocolatier Richard Von Gesau at Von Gesau Chocolates
2. There are plenty of hiking trails for the nature lovers to discover
3. Visit the organic food and fresh produce Saturday morning market
The Elgin Valley region lies between the Groenland and the Kogelberg, very close to neighboring Greyton.
What makes Elgin unique is that it is one of South Africa’s top apple-producing regions, and unsurprisingly also the home to craft cider in South Africa.
Where to Stay
One of my all-time favourite hideaways in this region has got to be The Old Mac Daddy Farm. 12 American airstream trailers, 2 self-catering houses and luxury tents situated on a working apple farm promises a unique romantic getaway for two. With NO television sets in the trailers and poor cell reception (except in the main clubhouse and restaurant area), this is another idyllic spot for lovers. oh and did I mention there are 2 mini trailers built with enough space for two?
With a lake on site for catch and release fishing or Stand Up Paddling or one of the many mountain biking trails or simply lounging by the pool, you can do as little or as much as you like.
What to do
- Oenophiles can explore the plentiful boutique wineries to their heart’s delight. Paul Cluver Estate and the Oude Molen Brandy Distillery are but a few places to pop in.
- Adrenaline junkies can get their fill by zipping through the World Heritage Site of the Hottentots Holland Mountains across 13 elevated platforms, a suspension bridge above a waterfall and slides over 330m long with Cape Canopy Tours.
Located in the heart of the dreamy Garden Route, between the Western and Eastern Cape of South Africa, Knysna will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Made undoubtedly famous through South African author Dalene Matthee’s popular book “Fiela se Kind” (english translation Fiela’s child).
Encapsulating a breathtaking lagoon and surrounded by ancient forests, this town has a plethora of activities to offer.
What To Do
- Take an unforgettable sunset trip through the iconic Knysna Heads aboard The John Benn double-decker floating restaurant. For a little more romance you can throw in a dinner for two.
- Explore the Knysna Quays restaurant and entertainment area, perhaps
- Nearby Tsitsikamma forest is just magical! From hikes to amazing panoramic vistas with the canopy tour company not only for nature lovers but guaranteed to make your Instagram feed explode!
Where to Stay
A mere 10 minutes drive from Knysna, you will find Knoetzie Beach and nature reserve.
Here the stuff of fairytales and fantasy are realized. Three castles right on pristine private beaches, two of which are self-catering vacation rentals and one owned by the Pezula Conrad Hotel Group. It really doesn’t get any more romantic than this.
You have to find that place that brings out the human in you, the soul in you, the love in you. – @rmdrk #wanderlustwednesday . It’s no secret that I love the beach, but can anyone guess where this is? . . . . . . ________________________________________________ #lovecapetown #meetsouthafrica #myshot_sa #capetownlikes #pixelpanda_za #ThisIsSouthAfrica #igerssouthafrica #foreversouthafrica #sand #instabest #epictravelpics #travelsamazingx #amazingdreamypics #CapeCountryRoutes #travellikealocalza #sacountrylife #ifollowthetribe #photooftheday #GetawayGoals #Girlsborntotravel
Now I’ve ALWAYS loved the West Coast of South Africa. West Coast Best Coast is my cry! Simply an hour and a half’s drive North of Cape Town away from the icy Atlantic you will find the warmer turquoise lagoon water of Langebaan. White sandy beaches for miles, clear water, friendly people and the freshest seafood!
🌷S P R I N G | F E V E R 🌻 Not only has Spring knocked on my door but a new season has entered my life. . A new home, a new career, a new love & an abundance of Blessings! ❤ . Spring has sprung in my heart… all glory & thanks be to God. . A special thank you to @waysofwellness for selecting me as one of your beauty ambassadors. I can’t wait to start my journey of health & beauty with you! ❤
During August and September months experience the spectacular earthly fashion show as mother nature boasts with fields bursting with colour! Flower season in the Cape is truly exquisite.
Where to Stay
From the faux Greek resort of Mykonos to the ample quaint whitewashed fisherman houses and B&B’s I prefer something a little more out of the ordinary.
My recommendation is for an overnighter for two aboard the Larus Houseboat. Larus comes fully equipped with an open plan kitchen, dining area, braai deck, queen bedroom, and bathroom. Imagine yourself being lulled to sleep by the sound of the sea. Then feasting on a scrumptious breakfast for two on the water.
What to Do
- Watersports are quite popular out this way, especially kitesurfing due to the strong winds.
- Indulge in an all you can eat seaside buffet at The Strandloper right on the beach front. Patrons are allowed to bring in their own drink.
- Nothing…simply slap on some sunblock and leisurely while away your time with your partner
1. Cape Town
I’ve clearly saved the best for last…my beloved Mother City!
Despite our current water crisis, there is nowhere in the world I’d rather be than right here. From our diverse cultural heritage and the colourful Bokaap to our cosmopolitan chic and sexy CBD, world-class luxury hotels, rich history and gastronomical delights, Cape Town is my number 1 most romantic town in ALL of, South Africa.
Where to stay
Wow! This is a tough one, as we are simply spoilt for choice when it comes to accommodation. Depending on your budget you can splurge on al luxe seaside facing penthouse or five-star hotel or a simple B&B or guesthouse.
Ok ok if I had to choose just one in the city, The Table Bay Hotel, The Best Address in the Cape would be it. This Grand Old Dame lies in the V&A Waterfront, right amidst all the action. She has been home to countless stars such as Michael Jackson, Barack Obama, Kylie Minogue and Manchester United just to name a few. Nevermind the caliber of clientele, the warm friendly welcoming hospitality is what has me going back for more. That and the breakfast buffet which boasts over 200 items! Yes, you heard correct.
Definitely worth the splurge on your loved one, when in Cape Town.
What to Do
- Hop on Hop off Red Bus City Sightseeing tour
- Sunset cruise with champers or dinner for two from V&A Waterfront harbour
- Romantic Spa Package for two at any of the countless luxury spa’s in Cape Town
- Feast your senses with our wide variety of multinational cuisine
- Hike, Bike, climb, run up the 7th natural wonder of the world, Table Mountain
- Catch some rays at any of our popular beaches
- Whatever you decide to do, it’s always more fun when two!
Wherever you go, go with all of your heart
I fall in love with every destination, no matter where I go. I’m a firm believer of the old adage; wherever you go go with all your heart.
That being said I am irrevocably, inexcusably forever a Cape Town girl. My heart is most at home anywhere in the beautiful Western Cape.
So what are you waiting for? Get your cheap flights to Cape Town NOW and visit any of these Top 5 Romantic Towns in South Africa.
Check out their amazing flights and packages during the month of lurve and create your own incredible memories.
*This post is in collaboration with Travelstart